RoseMary and Saul Brooks Fund for Jewish Youth Engagement
NEW FOR 2021: Minimum $550 grant for up to ten campers!
Although RoseMary Brooks is no longer with us, her legacy is still going strong. Now with a new name, the RoseMary and Saul Brooks Fund for Jewish Youth Engagement is being relaunched and redefined for 2021 with the goal of helping children – those who are physically distanced from synagogues, youth groups and other Jewish community events and activities – increase their exposure to their Jewish heritage and peers during their formative years.
In 1995, RoseMary Brooks of Baton Rouge created a Charitable Remainder Trust at the Jewish Endowment Foundation of Louisiana. Her plan was two-fold: to arrange her estate prudently to take advantage of tax deductions and to provide income for her grandchildren for travel to Israel as well as a permanent legacy for other Jewish youths, enabling them to experience Jewish camp and travel to Israel. Since then, RoseMary’s grandchildren divided the annual income of the assets and used that money to travel to Israel. After her youngest grandchild reached the age of 18, the fund was converted to a Designated Fund held at JEF, at which time, in accordance with RoseMary’s wishes, the money will be used to send other Jewish youths to Jewish summer camp or to Israel.
The fund will provide an incentive grant of at least $550 for up to ten Jewish children to attend a Jewish nonprofit sleepaway summer camp each year.
Eligibility and Grant Guidelines:
- One parent must be Jewish AND the child(ren) must identify as Jewish.
- Residing full-time in Louisiana, outside of a major metropolitan area (including the Greater New Orleans and Greater Baton Rouge areas) for the past year.
- Entering grades one through 12 (after camp).
- Attending a nonprofit, Jewish sleepaway camp.
- One application must be submitted for each child.
- Child(ren) may re-apply every year he/she is eligible.
- Funding is limited and available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Applications will be reviewed by a small group, including JEF staff, Board, and a representative of the Brooks family.
- Funds will be paid directly to the camp.
Download the 2021 application form and submit to Debbie Berins by
March 31, 2021.
Or mail to:
Jewish Endowment Foundation of Louisiana
Attn: Brooks Fund
One Galleria Blvd, Suite 1040
Metairie, LA 70001
All grants will be awarded by the end of May 2021.